The SatuDict module deals with the distribution of two distinct fluid phases (gas or liquid) in porous materials. Saturation with these fluid phases alters the properties of the porous media, such as flow permeability, diffusivity, thermal conductivity, and electrical conductivity. These properties come to depend on the saturation of the media, and come to be considered as relative. Depending on the distribution of the phase, saturation-dependent properties result. The relative properties are obtained by dividing the saturation-dependent properties by the properties for the entire pore space (absolute).
The SatuDict module computes the distribution of two fluids using a pore morphology method-based algorithm known as "maximum inscribed spheres". The result of the pore morphology method is a sequence of quasi-stationary two-phase distributions, which are used in SatuDict to compute the saturation-dependent capillary pressure curve.
Methods used for other GeoDict modules are applied in SatuDict. For example, methods used in FlowDict are applied to compute the effective permeability and the relative permeability; those in the ConductoDict are used for the computation of relative thermal conductivity and the resistivity index; the relative diffusivity is calculated as is done in DiffuDict.
- Capillary pressure curve.
- Effective and relative permeability.
- Relative Gas Diffusivity.
- Relative Thermal Conductivity.
- Resistivity Index.
Examples of SatuDict applications
SatuDict is applied for:
- Design of fuel cells materials for the automotive industry.
- Design of personal care and hygiene materials.
- Digital Rock Physics & Digital Core Analysis: Analysis of parameters for the E&P sector of the Oil and Gas industry.
Brine imbibes a water-saturated Berea sandstone and displaces oil from the pores - simulated with SatuDict. Blue regions indicate pores saturated with brine
Oil drains brine in a water-wet Berea sandstone - simulated with SatuDict. Black regions indicate oil saturated pores
Additional modules needed?
- The GeoDict Base package is needed for basic functionality.
- SatuDict works on 3D (micro-) structure models that can either be a segmented 3D image (microCT-scan, FIB-SEM) imported with ImportGeo-VOL, or a 3D structure model created with one of the GeoDict modules for Digital Material Design, e.g. FiberGeo for nonwovens or GrainGeo for granular or sintered structure models or sphere-packings.
- FlowDict to compute the effective permeability and the relative permeability.
- DiffuDict to compute the relative gas diffusivity.
- ConductoDict to compute the relative thermal conductivity and the resistivity index.